Sunday 14 August 2011

Summer Escape.

Sometimes, when the weather is nice, I wish that I lived somewhere near the countryside. I don't think I'd like to live in the country, but there is something so appealing about a field, freshly cut grass and curling up under the sun with a good book. In my imaginary future, where I have endless amounts of money and no real concerns, I would get myself a little country retreat for the summer, full of cakes, tea and an entire room full of books.


"I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says "Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through The Looking-Glass.


"He spoke of human solitude, about the intrinsic loneliness of a sophisticated mind, one that is capable of reason and poetry but which grasps at straws when it comes to understanding another, a mind aware of the impossibility of absolute understanding. The difficulty of having a mind that understands that it will always be misunderstood."
- Nicole Krauss, Man Walks Into A Room.


"Do you think I'm wonderful? she asked him one day as they leaned against the trunk of a petrified maple. No, he said. Why? Because so many girls are wonderful. I imagine hundreds of men have called their loves wonderful today, and it's only noon. You couldn't be something that hundreds of others are." - Jonathan Safran Foer, Everything Is Illuminated.


"I'm wearying to escape into that glorious world, and to be always there; not seeing it dimly through tears, and yearning for it through the walls of an aching heart; but really with it, and in it." -Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights.


All images from weheartit.

No comments:

Post a Comment